We’re continuing our series of interviews on the new management plan for the Flathead National Forest. We’ve heard from the Forest Service and the Montana Wilderness Association so far. This time we’re talking to a prominent timber company executive.
Paul McKenzie is the lands and resource manager at F.H. Stoltze Land and Lumber in Columbia Falls. I spoke to him in his office.
The Flathead National Forest continues to take public comment on its draft forest management plan, with meetings in Superior, Lincoln and Choteau April 9, 14 and 15
Public meetings on the Flathead draft forest management plan
April 9, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Superior Ranger Station Conference Room, Superior, MT 59872
April 14, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Lincoln Community Hall, 404 Main St., Lincoln, MT 59639
April 15, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Stage Stop Inn, 1005 Main Ave. North, Choteau, MT 59422
*Primary focus is NCDE Grizzly Bear Amendment
Forest Plan Revision Schedule:
- Assessment: Completed April 2014
- Draft Proposed Action: Completed March 6, 2015
- 60-day Scoping Period: March 6 – May 5, 2015
- DEIS and 90-day comment period: January 2016 (late Jan-April)
- FEIS & Draft ROD: December 2016
- FEIS & Final ROD: June 2017