We're celebrating the life and music of Leonard Bernstein on MTPR this week.
How well do you know Bernstein? Take our Leonard Bernstein quiz to put your knowledge to the test.
Tune in to MTPR on your radio or online for more great Bernstein programming all week.
Bernstein 100 Week schedule on Montana Public Radio:
- "Morning Classics," Monday - Friday, August 20-24, 9 - 10:55 a.m., features music composed or conducted by Leonard Bernstein
- Allan R. Scott hosts the "Monday Music Special," 8 - 9 p.m., August 20, incorporating listener reminiscences about the role that Bernstein's compositions and performances have played in their lives into an hour of Bernstein's music, along with an interview with Jamie Bernstein, Leonard Bernstein’s daughter
- "What I Like About Jazz" with John Arvish highlights jazz renditions of Bernstein's music, 8 - 10 p.m. on Wednesday, August 22
- On the afternoon of Saturday, August 25 (Bernstein's 100th birthday), Allan R. Scott pays tribute to Bernstein's well-known and lesser-known compositions, from symphonic to theaterical, 2 - 4 p.m., following the opera
- Sunday, August 26, at 8 p.m., the Helena Symphony presents a special Bernstein 100! concert, recorded in May at Helena's Civic Center, featuring the "On the Waterfront" film score, "Chichester Psalms," and music from "Wonderful Town," "West Side Story," and "Candide." You'll hear the Helena Symphony Orchestra and Chorale, several renowned guest artists, and a special tribute to Bernstein, narrated by MTPR’s Michael Marsolek.