Updated 5:25 p.m. The Flathead County Sheriff’s Office has issued an evacuation warning for a small number of residents near Essex just northwest of the Izaak Walton Inn along Highway 2 due to the Paola Ridge Fire .
- Montana Supreme Court Leaves Tax Initiative Ballot Language Alone
- Republicans Blast Pearl Jam Poster Of Burning White House
- Montana Wildfire Roundup For August 15, 2018
- Judge Approves Church Sexual Abuse Payments
- Cabins Lost In Glacier Park Fire Were Historic Treasures
- Injured Grizzly Killed By Montana FWP Officials
If you’ve ever driven through Southwest Montana on I-90, you’ve probably noticed the lone smoke stack standing sentinel near Anaconda. That’s the iconic Anaconda Smelter Stack - one of the tallest free-standing masonry structures in the world. For over a century, the smelter processed copper ore from Butte, and the stack belched thick smoke out over the valley. The public has been forbidden from visiting it for nearly four decades. But this year, for it’s 100th anniversary, tours of the stack are being offered. I hopped on one Thursday.
Arts & Music
The "Psychedelic Circus" returns Friday, August 17 with a stash of musical gems from the classic years of psychedelia. This month the show will feature selections by The Spike Drivers, that obscure Detroit psychedelic band who should have made it big, but instead got lost in the Motor City ozone.